Node ArtNet configuration change

This forum is assigned for bug reporting of Version 3.X. Please be as accurate as possible.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Stefano_NF

Node ArtNet configuration change

Post by Stefano_NF »

Hi

- the following bug happens since v3.6. Ok until 3.5. -

I'm using a third-party ArtNet node (Electron Design - up to 6 ports ws2811 output) which changes the universe configuration.

Steps:
- I configure the node by means of the onboard web server (port1: uni 0, port2: uni 1, port3: uni 2 ..)
- node is being detected automatically by matrix with the saved configuration
- when I enable any of those ports (DMX Devices Settings TAB) the node changes its own ports address to universe 256.

Even if I create the device manually it happens the same and upon reboot.

It could be something related to the ArtNet nodes remote management which has been deployed with the latest version: that node jumps to the maximum value available (net 127, universe 255) as if the configuration/command received by matrix isn't understood. That node is reported to be ArtNet III compliant.

Has anyone experienced similar behaviour?

Apart from this, it would be likely a good features to enable/disable Madrix automatically configuring ArtNet nodes, especially in a scenario with mixed stuff - i.e. Madrix nodes + third party devices (Chromelech, Clay-Paky).

Thanks
Stefano
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Re: Node ArtNet configuration change

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi!
Thank you very much for contacting us!
Could you please let us know the exact product you are using?
The change between MADRIX 3.5 and MADRIX 3.6 regarding Art-Net is the support of the ArtAddress component. With its help, AcLedNormal = Operate Status LEDs Normally, AcLedMute = Mute Status LED, and AcLedLocate = Highlight can be used for device that support it.
We have already double-checked our implementation of the feature, since this is the second case with an Art-Net node that produces issues with MADRIX 3.6. Hence, it is also likely in this case that the firmware of the node is interpreting the signal incorrectly and might set other settings incorrectly as a result and as described by you.
That is why you might also want to contact the manufacturer that they may check their implementation of Art-Net III in this case.
I would also say that we are not automatically configuring Art-Net nodes as you have mentioned. Instead, we are merely implementing features as provided in the official Art-Net specifications by Artistic Licence.
But whatever may be the reason, it seems that the interpretation of those specifications can apparently lead to issues. That is why we will probably adjust our way of handling the ArtAddress component with the next MADRIX update, so that it needs to actively be enabled first.
Thanks again.
Fritzsche
Support
Support

Post by Fritzsche »

Hi Stefano,
MADRIX 3.6b is now available for you!
Please feel free to test it and report back.
Thanks!
Stefano_NF

Post by Stefano_NF »

Hi Fritsche,
sorry for such a late reply
we've got many events therefore we kept 3.5 in order to keep it going and I missed to keep watching this post... .
I just got a look to the ArtAddress feature described within the latest ArtNet specification documents (Art-Net 4 Protocol Release V1.4 Document Revision 1.4db 20/9/2016) and I understand the changes you mentioned.
I'd guess that you're right when addressing such behaviour on the node implementation (which is reported as ArtNet III compliant, not IV...), therefore a signal misinterpretation at the node may be the issue.
Therefore since we (nor anyone but the manufacturer) may update the node firmware, the chance to enable/disable the ArtAddress feature would welcome in our case and for many other users which may have to occasionally deal with older/third party nodes.

I'll post the product details asap when I'll retrieve it in the next days.
We'll test the 3.6b starting from tomorrow,
I'll report then.

Thanks
Stefano