50 Led Pixel ws2801, MADRIX and an Arduino

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

mungle

50 Led Pixel ws2801, MADRIX and an Arduino

Post by mungle »

Hello!

I'm a student making an experiment. Searching on the web I found MADRIX and I think is just AMAZING.

That's an amazing feature that I would like to use for my project.

Led Pixels ws2801 are amazing too and the faster way to control them and plug with a computer is using an ARDUINO.

Can I made ARDUINO (that is an other amazing thing) compatible with MADRIX without a USB to DMX hardware? That's so expensive!!!!

I think 3 amazing things are able to speak each other, right?

Thank you for your help and your work!
Bichuch

Re: 50 Led Pixel ws2801, MADRIX and an Arduino

Post by Bichuch »

Hello, mungle!
(For your information: my knowledges about Madrix, Arduino, WS2801-based pixels, DMX, etc... are only theoretical, based on the Internet exclusively.)
Madrix is an application for PC and can drive SmartPixels (i.e. devices with one special IC per one or two RGB-LED and serial interface) by using additional hardware, links are on this forum thread http://www.madrix.com/en/home/forum/for ... f,1/t,553/.
Arduino is an autonomous small computer (with onboard USB), which can drive not big quantity of SmartPixels. I think, it could work with 50 of them. Obviously, you need to install an appropriate application program into Arduino.
Thus I can imagine only one scenario of cooperative work all of them: Arduino as an interface device between a PC and a set of SmartPixels. You must only create (or find :roll: ) a special application program for such role of Arduino.
larry

Post by larry »

im trying to do pretty much the same thing minus the adrinuo with i do have but would much rather not use it if possible .. I have some links i could share with you that may help you along...
Bichuch

Post by Bichuch »

larry wrote:...I have some links...
I think, your links/information could be helpful for community in any case (regardless of mungle).
mungle

Post by mungle »

Hellooooo! Thank you everybody! I'm very happy to hear from you! I'msorry but this forum just notify me now that there was a reply! I didn't see your Bichuch!

I'll be very happy if you can share some links...! About software....I have no ideas Bichuch!
Bichuch

Post by Bichuch »

mungle wrote:About software....I have no ideas Bichuch!
Yes, I see. My words about software were exclusively theoretical and abstract. I have no such a software or real information about existence of it... :(
darkstar215

Post by darkstar215 »

Hi,

I've been having pretty good success using an Arduino Uno with an Ethernet shield as an Artnet receiver driving lpd8806 pixel strips (very similar to ws2801 pixels). Here is a link to the code I used.

http://vvvv.org/contribution/artnet-arduino-set-v2

Performance has been fine driving 3 32 pixel strips though I'm not sure at what number of DMX channels the Arduino would start to have issues. I plan to scale up to 8+ 64 pixel strips for an upcoming installation so I just purchased a San Devices e682 board.

http://www.sandevices.com/E681info.html

Let me know if you need any help getting the Artnet code implemented.

-John
Bichuch

Post by Bichuch »

darkstar215
Yes, your information is very nice, and must be useful for somebody. Thank you!
Bichuch, bookworm-observer
mungle

Post by mungle »

Wooooooow....! Thank youuuu!!!

I just had a look but looks like something amazing!
neilric99

Post by neilric99 »

I do this through another product that's in the DIY space, please PM me for details as I don't want to use this forum for advertizing products.