Interface and editing question

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

69morpho

Interface and editing question

Post by 69morpho »

Hi!

I just got started with MADRIX an invested in 2 Plexus for and architectural installation using 3 universes.

The system I've used before was Nicolaudie's Easy Stand Alone hard- and software.

MADRIX's interface with the 2 preview windows left & right and the output window seems to be exclusively oriented towards VJ or similar users. What I am missing is total control over a single fixture including a timeline based view similar to a video or sound editing software, e.g. the fixtures are lined up vertically and the time axis is horizontally so I can edit each fixture individually in detail.

All I've discovered in MADRIX so far are a large list of macro effects to be applied to groups of fixtures. How can I get detailed control over a simple scenario like:
fixture 1 - fade from color 1 to 2 in 10 secs
fixture 2 - fade from color 3 to 4 in 10 secs
fixture 3 - solid color 5 for 5 secs then color 6 for 5 secs
etc.
I saw that there is a MAS script feature which I haven't explored yet. Maybe my more detailed demands can be scripted but that seems extremely cumbersome...

Thank you for your input in advance!

Erwin

PS: I assume theoretically I could use the Nicolaudio Easy Standalone software as an editor, send DMX out via Easy Standalone DMX controller and then record it with the PLEXUS but that seems like a quite complicated workaround...
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Re: Interface and editing question

Post by Wissmann »

Hi 69morpho,
I am affraid you expect something what MADRIX is not made for.
MADRIX is not designed to control fixtures individualy on different timing.
MADRIX is made to control any kind of light matrix. This could be also a line of fixtures like 20 by 1 fixture. Because of this a fixture is not controled individualy rather as a part of a effect.
With the MADRIX Plexus you are able to playback records of MADRIX effects which are recorded and edited by the MADRIX software.
To be able to explore the MADRIX software in front of buying a MADRIX Key we offer the software for free on our website. Without a MADRIX Key the software acts as a demo and send data for one our (interrupting the signal each minute for some seconds), so each person can test in front without a MADRIX Key.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)
gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx »

I think that creating video sequences with After Effects can help Madrix programming.
If I want to keyframe one single pixel and move it in x or y direction it's better to create a video and use it in Madrix.
Not tested yet but I think it will work.

regards
69morpho

Post by 69morpho »

Dear all,

Thank you for replies.

I am now quite disappointed the MADRIX doesn't give the user basic control over single fixtures, something all other programs I've worked with offer.

It of course is my mistake that I already bought 2 Plexus units assuming this most basic feature. I love the Plexus hardware and am impressed by its scalability. The reason for my purchasing decision was primarily that Plexus offers 3 or more universes in stand-alone mode.

Question to the MADRIX developers: Do you intend to offer individual, time-based control over single fixtures in the near future? Since I am working in the fine arts and architectural installations field I can guarantee you that MADRIX would be an immediate success if that feature would be offered since there isn't any stand-alone system with 3+ universes on the market under $10,000.

And the same question the other way around: Is the Plexus hardware platform open to other software developers? Could another company develop a plug-in to use the Plexus hardware with a software other than MADRIX?

Thanks again and I hope for more information that will help me to utilize MADRIX and Plexus for my work.

Best,

Erwin
gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx »

I'm using Plexus with Sunlite2 for example, it works as Artnet controller
If you want to control single leds you need a different software because Madrix handle led matrices to create more complex effects.
Madrix has a lot of functions perfect for architectural lighting installations.
With layers, alpha and mapping you can do a lot of things impossible to do with Sunlite or GrandMA pc.

regards
69morpho

Post by 69morpho »

GabrieleFx,

What you are doing with Sunlite2 sounds like a solution to my problem.

Here's what I have to accomplish:
(a) 3 universes in stand-alone
(b) control of individual fixtures
(c) effects for groups or matrix of fixtures
(d) fixture editor

It looks like I can do everything with MADRIX except (b). I am used to Nicolaudie's Easy Stand Alone Pro which can do everything except (a) and (d).

Maybe Sunlite2 with 2 Plexus can do all four things? Did you try 3 or more universes with Sunlite2 and Plexus?

Thanks again,

Erwin
gabrielefx

Post by gabrielefx »

What you mean with "Fixture Editor"?
Sunlite2 has a fixture editor prg. I don't know Easy Stand Alone.
Do you have to control moving heads, gobos, zoom, focus, etc.?
In Madrix you can patch different fixtures (groups...pages...zones)
Sunlite2 FC can handle 3 dmx universes + 4 artnet.
69morpho

Post by 69morpho »

GabrieleFX,

With "fixture editor" I mean a way to create custom fixtures, e.g. use a generic RGB-LED fixture, copy it and adjust its color individually in order to get a near-perfect color calibration especially a "pure" white.

As for gobos, zoom, etc. I don't need any of this. All my fixtures are simple RGB-LEDs.

As mentioned earlier I "only" require:
(a) 3 universes in stand-alone
(b) effects on groups of LED ("matrix" control)
(c) control over individual fixtures
(d) fixture editor

I'll try the Sunlite2 + Plexus combination later today and will let you know if I encounter difficulties.

Best,

Erwin

PS: "Easy Stand Alone" is a NicolAudie software/hardware system similar to Sunlite but more geared toward architectural installations...
69morpho

Post by 69morpho »

More questions to GabrieleFX and others...

I've tried to get the Sunlite2 software to communicate via ArtNet with Plexus but it looks like you'd actually need the Sunlite2 hardware as well. Sunlite2 software doesn't see the Plexus on my PC. The Sunlite2 manual states that you have to plug-in the Sunlite hardware before using ArtNet.

Is my assumption correct that the Sunlite2 hardware is basically the license necessary to output to "any" device incl. Plexus via ArtNet?

I've tried the Plexus via ArtNet from a different open-source software Q Light Controller+ and it worked flawlessly.

Back to my original question:
Is there any software besides Madrix that can run the Plexus hardware AND save a show with 3 universes to the 2 Plexus so the 3 universe show can run in stand-alone mode?

My assumption is that any software other than Madrix talking to the Plexus via ArtNet can NOT download a 3 universe show to 2 Plexus for a stand-alone job, correct?

Thanks again!

Erwin
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

Post by Wissmann »

Regarding the Sunlite2 i am not able to tell you how it works with the license.
To your second question, only MADRIX is currently able to provide show files for the MADRIX PLEXUS stand alone funtionality.
LEDs are nothing without control ;-)