Multi Matrix Support

Write here what nice effects or shows you have done with MADRIX or ask other users.

Moderator: MADRIX Team

Beamer

Multi Matrix Support

Post by Beamer »

Hello,
I have been playing around with the demo of Madrix for a few days now in my spare time, trying to get a feel for if it will work for me. First I must say I am blown away by what this software can do! Some of the included samples are amazing and just what I'm looking for. The real-time audio analysis is one thing I was looking for in a program, so I'm glad I found it.
I do have a question, however. Sorry in advance if I am missing something obvious. Can Madrix run two different matrices at the same time, with completely different effects? What I am thinking of is a matrix on the ceiling with one effect, perhaps SCE Plasma, while another matrix on the wall is running a different effect, such as S2L Equalizer. My suspicion is that this can't be done unless I ran 2 separate copies of Madrix on one PC, one copy for each display. And of course, if the matrix size was large, I might even need 2 separate PCs due to CPU load, right? So in summary, can one instance of Madrix run two independent matrices as described?
Thank you for the help to anyone who might know the answer to this question!
-= Brian Rondeau =-
dieter

Post by dieter »

Hello,
-
I am not an experts of madrix, but I think can help.
-
Make an effect with two layer. First layer plasma, second layer equalizer.
In the map button of plasma set map position/size from full size to left.
In the map button of equalizer set map position/size from full size to right.
Now you have difference effects on same screen.
-
If you need, you can mapping more effects to difference map area.
-
I hope can help.
-
Dieter
Beamer

Post by Beamer »

Thank you dieter, your suggestion sounds like it would do the trick pretty well. The only thing I'd be lacking is truly independent control over each matrix, but I suppose if I set up enough preset combos (with the layering and offsets as you described) I could fake it. Or now this just popped into my head... I could set it up so that the A side is only for the ceiling and the B side is only for the wall (with each A & B offset accordingly) and then always leave the crossfader in the middle and set to WF. That way I could load a preset for one without affecting the other.
So it sounds like the above solution would work pretty well, but in thinking about the idea of running 2 copies of Madrix on one machine, I have a question. Can 2 instances of Madrix be set up to share a USB key? Lets say I was licensed for 8,000 channels. Could I tell instance #1 to max out at 5,000 so that instance #2 could have the remaining 3,000?
Thanks for the help guys! It sounds like with some preset tweaking I can accomplish what I need, but I'm just curious about any other options.
-= Brian Rondeau =-
Wissmann
Developer
Developer

multi matrix and multi MADRIX on one pc

Post by Wissmann »

Hi Beamer and Dieter,
yes with the use of mapping it is possible to control more than one LED wall to the same time as like as Dieter has described above.
And yes one disadvantage is the fact it is not possible to change effects on booth walls to different times. The idea with the workaround like Beamer describes sound interesting :o
@Beamer, it is not possible to run MADRIX two times onto the same pc.
The answer to your second question is the explanation for the first as well.
MADRIX is protected by USB hardware dongle. Regarding the kind of dongle you buy this dongle enables the output of DMX/ArtNet or DVI.
It is possible to have more than one dongle onto one computer and the number of DMX universes MADRIX will be able to output is the summary of all dongles found at the pc. For example running MADRIX with 2x basic MADRIX keys, means a output of 2x 16 DMX Universes.
But it is not possible to share the dongle from two running MADRIX.
So in conclusion you have two possibilities, either running two computer each one with MADRIX, or one computer with one MADRIX using the map option for the different walls.
@Dieter, thanks for taking part of this discussion, we appreciate this!